In order to get top dollar for your building, there are basic tasks that should be accomplished. Although it may seem obvious, too often these basic necessities get overlooked. As a result, buyers see opportunity to negotiate down the price. Below are 7 ways to get your building ready for sale to get top dollar!
- Paint exterior – updated and neutral color.
- Landscaping – create fresh and clean impression by replacing dead plants, removing weeds, and adding rock. Replant grass if necessary.
- Paint interior – it is best to use a clean, neutral color
- Remove clutter – Get rid of old papers, trash and any additional furniture – Less is more and it opens up the area to look more spacious.
- Service air conditioning units. This is one of the 2 items that always comes up in inspections and renegotiations – You can get the current a/c’s in good working order or you can replace them with new units. If that is not possible, you can offer credit for 50% of the air conditioning units that are beyond repair bypassing any renegotiations.
- Service and repair roof – this is another major item buyer’s use to renegotiate during feasibility period. Make sure roof has at least ½ of its useful life left.
- Price it right – get the right experienced agent to make sure it goes out to market at a competitive rate. Too low and you may be leaving money on the table. Too high, it can get stagnant.